1. Toor dhal - 3 cups
2. Channa dhal - 1 cup
3. Urud dhal - 1/2 cup
4. Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
5. Red chillies - 5 to 7 (can add more if you like it spicy)
6. Grated coconut - 1 cup
7. Coriander leaves - finely chopped
8. Oil to fry
9. Salt to taste
10. Onion 2 (optional)
1. Soak all dhal in water for 2 to 3 hours.
2. Grind dhal, red chillies and grated coconut coarsely with little water.
3. Add required salt and finely chopped coriander leaves. You can also add finely chopped onions if you prefer it.
4. Heat oil in a pan and make round vadas and fry them 4 to 5 at a time turning the sides till it becomes golden brown.
5. Crispy hot vadai is ready to serve. This is very tasty snack that can be served separately or with coconut/kara chutney.