1. Onion - 2 medium sized finely chopped
4. Curry leaves - 5 for seasoning
5. Oil - 1-2 tablespoon
6. Mustard seeds - 1 tablespoon
7. Urad dal - 1 tablespoon
8. Butter - 1/2 tablespoon (optional)
1. Pepper - 1 tablespoon
2. Cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon
3. Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tablespoon (make sure not to over fry as it will turn bitter)
4. Curry leaves - 30 - 35
1. Cook the garlic in little water and smash it into coarse pieces.
2. Add red chilly powder and salt to the tamarind extract and keep it aside.
3. Dry fry the ingredients given for powder, cool and grind it into fine powder.
4. Heat oil in a pan and season with Mustard seeds, urud dhal, cumin seeds, curry leaves and fry for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add chopped onions and cooked garlic and saute until onion turns transparent. Pour the tamarind extract and one cup of water, cook in medium flame for 20-25 minutes until the raw tamarind smell goes off and the mixture reduces into half.
6. Now add the grounded masala powder. Set it in low flame and continue cooking for another 5 mins and switch off the stove. Finally add one tablespoon of butter (this is optional)
Appalam/Paruppu or thengai thuvayal with this rice will make an excellent meal.