There are many simple dishes that can be made with Plantain. Of course plantain bhajji is a very famous dish in Tamilnadu. This recipe is a spicy curry made with very minimum number of ingredients. It is very rare to get good plantain in my city. So after a long time when i happened to find fresh Plantain in Wal-mart, i was so excited to make this preparation and it came out yummy...
Preparation Time: 40 mins
1. Raw Plantain - 2
3. Onion - 2
3. Garlic - 7 to 8 pods
4. Red chilly powder - 1 tablespoon
5. Coriander powder - 2 tablespoon
6. Salt - to taste
7. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
8. Urud dhal - 1/2 tablespoon
9. Oil - 3 tablespoon
10. Curry leaves - 4 to 5
11. Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Peel the skin of plantain and chop into medium sized cubes. Alternatively you can chop the plantains in a round shape.
2. Finely chop the onions and peel the skin of the garlic and crush it coarsely.
3. Heat oil in pan and when hot add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urud dhal and fry.
4. Add onions, curry leaves and garlic and fry until onions become golden brown.
5. Add plantain, red chilly powder, coriander powder and salt and mix it well.
6. Now add around 100 ml of water to the mixture and cook the plantain in a medium flame for another 15 to 20 minutes by stirring occasionally. Cover with a lid, to cook the plantain well.
7. When the water drains and plantain cooks completely, switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
Hot and spicy plantain curry is ready to serve. This is a very good combination with any rice, especially Rasam or Curd rice.
1. If you do not like garlic, you can avoid. This is used to enrich the flavor of the dish.