This is one of my most favorite dishes that can be made with very simple ingredients. This dish consumes a littler more time for preparation but the wait is really worthy for this delicious dish. By using 6 to 7 tomatoes we would get 1/2 of the initial volume of ingredients as we cook it for a longer time. You can prepare this dish in a large quantity and refrigerate it and use for 3 to 4 days.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
1. Onion - 3 finely chopped
2. Tomato - 7 finely chopped
3. Garlic - 15
4. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
5. Urud dhal - 2 teaspoon
6. Curry leaves - 6
7. Asafoetida - a pinch
8. Oil - 6 to 7 tablespoon
9. Sambhar powder - 2 tablespoon
10. Salt - to taste
1. Chop Onions and tomatoes into fine pieces. Peel the skin of garlic.
2. Heat oil in a pan, and when hot, add mustard seeds.
3. When it splutters, add urud dhal, asafoetida and fry until it turns golden brown.
4. Now add the onions, tomatoes, garlic and curry leaves and cook.
5. Add the sambhar powder and salt and mix well.
6. Now start cooking the mixture in a medium flame and stirring every 7 to 8 minutes until the tomatoes are completely smashed and cooked.
7. When the oil starts separating and the tomatoes and onions are perfectly cooked, thokku is ready to serve.
8. Garinsh with coriander leaves.
This mouth watery dish is a very good combination of idly/dosa/rotis/rice. This goes well with curd rice/lemon rice.
1. Tomato rice can be made by mixing this tomato mixture with rice and serve with any curry.