Brinjal rice often referred as Vaangi Bath is a very delicious rice variety made of brinjal and a spicy fresh powder. Vaangi bath ready mix powder is available these days in the grocery stores and makes the preparation very simple. But I prefer to make my own fresh powder to have the fresh taste.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1. Rice - 2 cups
2. Brinjal - 5
3. Onion - 1 medium sized
4. Slt - to taste
5. Oil - 1 tablespoon
6. Ghee - 2 tablespoon
7. Cashews - 10 to 15
8. Coriander leaves - for garnishing
9. Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoon
1. Urud dhal -1 tablespoon
2. Channa dhal - 2 tablespoon
3. Red chillies - 4
4. Coriander Seeds - 1 tablespoon
5. Fenugreek seeds - 1 teaspoon
6. Cloves - 2
7. Cinnamon - 1 small stick
1. Cook the rice with required water. Do not over cook the rice. Ensure that the rice grains are separate and cool it.
2. Finely chop the onion and brinjal into lengthy pieces.
3. Dry roast the ingredients given for powder and grind it into a coarse powder.
4. Heat oil in a pan and when hot add mustard seeds, when it splutters add onions and fry until it turns transparent.
5. Now add the brinjals and salt and cook for next 5 minutes.
6. Add the powder and little water and cook the mixture by closing the lid in a medium flame for next 10 minutes.
7. The brinjal would now be perfectly cooked and the water is completely drained.
8. Heat 2 tables of ghee in a separate pan and fry the cashews until it turns golden brown.
9. Add the brinjal mixture and cashews to the rice and mix it well without breaking the rice.
10. Garinsh with copped coriander leaves.
Hot and spicy vaangi bath is ready to serve. You can serve this with Raitha or appalam/papads.
1. Use Basmathi rice to have a rich flavor.
2. You can also use 2 - 3 spoons of tamarind juice to add a sour taste to the rice.