There are different versions of tomato rasam - either with or without dhal. Recipe presented here uses toor dhal and gives the perfect taste. Tomato rasam with paruppu thogayal would be like Amirtham if I return back home after any trip.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
1. Toor dhal - 1/2 cup
2. Tomatoes - 3 medium sized
3. Red chilly powder - 3/4 Tablespoon
4. Pepper and Jeera powder - 1 tablespoon
5. Salt - to taste
6. Ghee - 2 Tablespoon
7. Mustard seeds - 2 Teaspoon
8. Red chillies - 3
9. Asafoetida - a pinch
10. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
11. Tamarind Juice - 50 ml
12. Coriander Leaves - for garnishing
1. Pressure cook toor dhal with required water and turmeric powder and smash it nicely.
2. Grind tomatoes to a coarse paste.
3. Mix the cooked dhal, tomato paste and the tamarind juice. Add salt,red chilly powder and pepper/jeera powder and bring it to boil in a pan.
4. When the mixture comes to boil, switch off the stove.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee and when hot season with mustard seeds, red chillies and asafoetida.
6. Add the seasoning to the mixture and garnish with coriander leaves.
Hot tomato rasam is ready to serve. You can serve it with rice or even drink it as a soup.