Masiyal means anything that is Smashed. Yam goes well in this preparation and this is a very authentic tamil dish with easy and quicker preparation.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
1. Yam - 300 gms
2. Onion - 1 meidum sized
3. Red Chilli powder - 1 tablespoon
4. Salt - to tatste
5. Tamarind juice - 2 tablespoons
6. Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoon
7. Red chillies - 3
8. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
9. Curry Leaves - 5 to 6
10. Urud dhal - 1 tablespoon
11. Oil - 2 tablespoon
12. Asafoetida - 1 pinch
13. Jaggery - a small piece
1. Peel the skin from Yam and boil it in water until it is completely cooked. Meanwhile chop the onions into fine pieces.
2. When the yam is cooked, strain the water completely and smash it finely. Add the tamarind juice, red chilly powder, salt, turmeric powder and crushed jaggery and mix it well.
3. Heat oil in a pan and when hot add mustard seeds and when it splutters, add urud dhal, curry leaves, red chillies and asafoetida one by one and fry.
4. Add the chopped onions and fry it until it turns transparent.
5. Now add the yam mixture and cook it for next 4 to 5 minutes with continuous stirring. You can add couple of more table spoon of oil if required.
6. Remove from flame and garnish with Coriander leaves and serve.
1. Use non-stick pan for cooking the dish without sticking to the pan.