Mango rice is one of the simplest lunch box dish that can be prepared quickly. As mango is a seasonal vegetable during the summer, it has its own specialty.
Preparation: 30 minutes
1. Rice - 2 cups
2. Raw Mango - 1
3. Red Chillies - 4
4. Mustard seed - 1 teaspoon
5. Urud dhal - 2 teaspoon
6. Asafoetida - a pinch
7. Turmeric powder - 1/5 teaspoon
8. Curry leaves - 5
9. Salt - to taste
10. Oil - 2 tablespoon
1. Peel the skin of the maango and grate the mango.
2. Cook the rice with required water in a cooker or oven. Ensure that the rice grains are separate and not overcooked. Drain any excess water and cool the rice.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds when oil is hot.
4. When it splutters, add urud dhal and asafoetida and fry until it becomes golden brown.
5. Add red chillies, grated mangoes and curry leaves, turmeroc powder and saute well.
6. Cook in a medium flame for next 10 to 12 minutes until the mango is cooked and the raw smell goes off.
7. Remove it from the stove and add it to the rice with required amount of salt and mix it without breaking the rice.
Yummy, yellowish mango rice is ready to serve. Simple potato fry would be a very nice combination with the rice.