Ivy Gourd is very rich in Vitamin A and also considered as good source of protein and fiber. This also helps in reducing blood sugar level and also is used as medicinal herb in traditional Thai and ayurvedic medicine.
This is a very simple dish with Ivy Gourd and can be prepared in 25 minutes time. Quantity in this recipe would serve 4.
Ivy Gourd - 300 gms
Onion - 1 big finely chopped
Tomato - 2 medium size finely chopped
Ginger/garlic paste - 1/2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Red Chilli powder - 1 tablespoon
Coriander powder - 2 teaspoon
Black pepper powder - 1/2 tablespoon
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
Urud Dhal - 1/2 tablespoon
Curry leaves - 3
1. Chop Ivy gourd length wise or as round pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urud dhal and curry leaves and fry.
3. Add onions and stir well and then add ginger garlic paste. When onion becomes golden brown, add tomatoes and cook well.
4. Add ivy gourd and cook the mixture, when half cooked, add salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and mix well.
5. Sprinkle some water on the mixtur and cook by closing the lid in a low flame for 7 to 8 minutes till the vegetable is well cooked and oil separates from the mixture.
6. Remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves and it is ready to serve.
This curry goes well with Chapathi/Dosa/Rice.