Paruppu usili (lentil curry) can be made with variety of vegetables like Beans or cluster beans or Green bell pepper or banana flower. This is a very authentic south indian dish and is very good combination for any rice.
Channa dhal - 1 cup
Cluster beans (or any vegetable ) - 1 1/2 cups finely chopped
Red Chillies - 6 to 7
Asafoetida - pinch
Oil - 2 to 3 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoon
Urud dhal - 2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
1. Soak dhal for 1 hour and grind it to a coarse paste with red chillies with no or very little water. Alternatively you can use red chilly powder instead of red chillies.
2. Steam this mixture in a cooker without water for 5 to 7 minutes till it is cooked.
3. Finely chop the cluster beans and cook it in water.
4. Strain the water from the beans and keep it aside.
5. Heat oil in pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urud dhal and Asafoetida.
6. Now break the cooked dhal into pieces and add to the pan with required salt and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Yummy yummy paruppu usili is ready to eat.