Snake gourd consist of substantial amount of moisture and little protein, fiber, fat and carbohydrate. It has also has good mineral and vitamin contents. This recipe of snake gourd is made with curd and cocconut and is a good combination for rice dishes.
1. Snake Gourd - 300 gms
2. Coconut - 1/4 cup
3. Green Chillies - 3 to 4 you can adjust this to your spice level
4. Cumin seeds - 1/2 tablespoon
5. Curd - 50 gms beaten to butter milk consistency
6. Curry leaves - 3
7. Oil - 1 tablespoon
8. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
9. Urud dhal - 1 teaspoon
10. Red chillies - 3
1. Chop snake gourd and cook in a vessel with water. Do not add more water just add water so that the vegetable is fully soaked.
2. When the vegetable is half cooked, add salt and cook further in low flame.
3. Meanwhile grind coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds, curry leaves to a fine paste.
4. When the vegetable is almost cooked and the water level decreases, add the ground paste and cook for 3 minutes in a low flame.
5. Now add the beaten curd and keep stirring occasionally. Cook another 4 minutes in low flame and remove it from stove.
6. Heat oil in a separate pan. Add mustard seeds and urud dhal and red chillies and fry well and add it to kootu.
It is ready to serve now.