1. Chow chow - 250 gms
2. Moong dhal - 150 gms
3. Onions - 2 (finely chopped)
4. Green chillies - 3 (split)
5. Oil - 1 tablespoon
6. Cumin powder- 2 teaspoon
7. Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoon
8. Urud dhal - 2 teaspoon
9. Asafoetida - little
10. Salt to taste
11. Grated coconut - 3 tablespoon
12. Coriander leaves -for garnish
1. Bring 500 ml of water to boil and add moong dhal to it.
2. When it is cooked 1/4th, add chow chow, onions and green chillies and required amount of salt and let it cook till the vegetable and dhal is cooked.
3. Add cumin powder and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes and bring it off the stove.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds when the oil is hot. When it splutters, add urud dhal and asafoetida and add this mixture to the kootu.
5. Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves.
Alternatively, you can grind coconut and cumin seeds and add to the vegetable when it boils. If you like it more spicy, grind green chillies along with coconut.