Curd vada can be had as an appetizer, side dish in a meal or as an evening time snack with tea/coffee. This dish is very easy to prepare and becomes more tastier as the vada soaks in curd for atleast 4 to 5 hours. If prepared in excess, you can refrigerate this dish for 2 or 3 days and eat.
Pre-Preparation: 1 hour
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
1. Urud Dhal - 1 cup
2. Green chilies - 4 finely chopped
3. Ginger - a small piece (grated/crushed)
4. Pepper - 1 tablespoon (crushed)
5. Curd - 2 cups
6. Salt - to taste
7. Oil - to fry
8. Mustard seeds
1. Grated carrot
2. Coriander leaves
3. Red chilly powder
4. Plain Kaara Boondhi
1. Soak Urud dhal in water for 30 to 45 minutes and grind it without water.
2. Meanwhile beat the curd in a big bowl with little salt, crushed ginger and green chillies.
3. Heat one tablespoon of oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add this to the curd and close the bowl
3. Add required amount of salt and half of the green chillies and mix it well.
4. Heat oil in a deep fry pan. Take small amount of the batter at a time and make round vadas and deep fry them in oil by turning the sides until it becomes crispy and golden brown.
5. And now this is the important and secret step to get a very soft curd vadai. When you take the vada out of the oil, DONT directly add it to the curd, instead just soak it in a bowl of hot water for less than 30 seconds and then transfer it to the curd. This will make the vada easy to soak in curd and gives it the softness.
When you are ready to serve the vada, garnish it with a pinch of red chilly powder, grated carrot, coriander leaves and boondhi.
1. You can optionally use tamarind/coriander chutney per your taste.