There are different varieties of rasam and most of them are prepared from dhal water. This version of rasam is prepared without dhal. Powder for this rasam can be prepared in large quantities and refrigerated and used as and when required.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
1. Tamarind extract - 2 cups
2. Tomato - 1 medium size
3. Coriander leaves - for garnishing
4. Salt - to taste
5. Oil - 2 tablespoons
6. Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
1. Toor dhal - 1 tablespoon
2. Channa dhal - 1/2 tablespoon
3. Pepper - 1 tablespoon
4. Cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon
5. Red chillies - 3
6. Coriander seeds - 2 tablespoon
7. Oil - 2 tablespoon
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and fry all ingredients given for powder, cool and grind it to a fine powder
2. Finely chop tomatoes and add it to the tamarind extract and bring it to boil with required amount of salt for 5 minutes.
3. Add the ground powder and boil for another 5 to 7 minutes and switch off the stove.
4. For seasoning, add 2 tablespoons of oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, transfer it to the rasam and garnish with coriander leaves.