Oothappam is another variety of dosa that can be made in so many varieties. Generally we make idli/dosa batter in large quantities and it will start becoming sour after a week especially in summer season. And oothaappam is the dish that was invented to make use of this sour batter by adding finely chopped onions, green chillies, coriander and curry leaves. Now a days there has been lots of variation to make varieties of tasty oothappam. Even in vegetable oothappam - we have variations in this preparation - some use raw vegetables, some cooked vegetables. In this version, i have used cooked vegetable, and i will come back with other variation sooner :)
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Recipe is to make 6 oothappams
1. Mixture of vegetables - 200 gms
2. Onion - 1 medium sized
3. Red Chilly powder - 3/4 tablespoon
4. Salt - to taste
5. Oil - 3 tablespoons
1. Dosa batter - 1 cup (500 ml)
2. Oil - to make dosa
1. Finely chop all vegetables (I generally use beans, carrot, cauliflower, peas. you can use any vegetable you have) and onions.
2. Heat oil in pan and add onions and fry well.
3. When it turns golden brown, add the vegetable mixture and cook well for another 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Now add little water and cook the vegetables. Add red chilly powder and salt and mix well.
5. When the vegetables are finely cooked and the water is evaporated, switch off the stove.
To Prepare Dosa:
1. Heat a dosa pan and take some batter and spread it on the pan from center. Make it a little thick for about 2 cms.
2. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of oil around the edges.
3. Take the prepared masala in a spoon and spread it on top of the batter and close the pan with the lid for 1 minute.
4. Remove the lid and now turn the dosa to make the other side cook. Take care not to break the dosa.
5. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes pouring little oil if required.
6. Once it is cooked, you can remove it from the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
Hot, tasty, colorful, vegetable oothappam is ready to serve.
1. You can serve this oothappam with any variety of chutney.
2. Also try vadaikari as a side dish for oothappam. It rocks!!!